Aktuelle Zeit: 29.03.2024, 16:01

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Forumsregeln

Die Forumsregeln lesen

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 16 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: The Sunday Times (05.01.2020)
BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 12:17 
Mill overseer & Head of the Berlin Station

Erstes Interview vor der 'Uncle Vanya'-Premiere - inhaltlich typisch Richard und mit schickem Foto:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/richard-armitage-on-shedding-his-heartthrob-image-after-spooks-and-the-hobbit-movies-j2h36dm9c

Edit: Bei mir will gerade die Kopierfunktion nicht, obwohl ich mich bei der 'Times' gerade für den kostenlosen Probemonat angemeldet habe. :scratch:

Einen Screencap bietet Servetus: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

https://meandrichard.wordpress.com/2020/01/05/a-bit-too-neat-but-wow-all-the-same/

Bild

Da es die 'Sunday Times' ist, sollte sich da doch auch hinsichtlich einer Printausgabe etwas machen lassen. :pfeif:

Danke, liebe Boardengel, für Eure privaten Schnappschüsse. :kuss:

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 05.01.2020, 12:17 

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: The Sunday Times (05.01.2020)
BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 14:27 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Hier ist der Text des Artikels - Ich habe mich auch spontan zum Probemonat hinreißen lassen...:
Zitat:
Playing a self-destructive doctor in a new adaptation of Chekhov’s Uncle Vanya may be just the tonic he needs

Sarah Crompton

Trust me, I’m a doctor: Armitage stars as Astrov in Uncle Vanya
AN LE

The Sunday Times, January 5 2020, 12:01am

Richard Armitage puts his head in his hands and emits a noise that’s somewhere between a sigh, a laugh and a groan. “Oh no! Why would you want to pin this up?” he says with a horrified whisper.

I have just asked him whether his liking for flawed characters is part of his desire to shake off the pin-up tag that has stuck to him ever since he burst into the public consciousness as the conflicted John Thornton in the BBC’s classic North & South, an adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell’s novel. The image stuck during his portrayal of the double-dealing agent Lucas North in Spooks, and even while he played Thorin Oakenshield, the dwarf warrior in the Hobbit films.

Never has a man seemed more ill at ease with the heartthrob label. He squirms with embarrassment in his chair every time the subject comes up. He is grateful for the loyalty of his fans, he says, but worries that “there is this thing of, ‘Is he just totty?’ Because the industry will sometimes write you off as a serious actor if they think that. I have always been conscious of that and fought against it, because I don’t really see myself like that at all.”

For the record, it seems to me that Armitage, who is 48 and lives alone, dividing his time between London and New York, is both handsome and serious. He is also articulate, friendly and funny, in a wry, self-deprecating way. We meet in a small, tatty room in south London, surrounded by oddly matched chairs and fan heaters to ward off the chill. In the larger space next door, he is deep in rehearsal for Ian Rickson’s new production of Chekhov’s Uncle Vanya, which also stars Toby Jones (who needs no introduction), Aimee Lou Wood (of Sex Education) and Ciaran Hinds (of Game of Thrones and much more).

Armitage plays Astrov — a doctor, forester and self-destructive visionary — and he is loving every moment. “I wanted to play Chekhov, but I think I came into it with the preconception of, ‘Oh, Chekhov, it will be lovely — we’ll be on swings and there will be lovely dresses, and we’ll sigh and think of Moscow.’ But it’s actually much more muscular and vital than I ever dreamt.”

This is partly, he says, because the new adaptation by Conor McPherson “has something solid and Irish about it. It’s like granite, really no-nonsense.” It’s also because of the kind of director Rickson is. “He feels like a conductor rather than a director. He has no preconceived idea of what this play will be. It’s as if he’s allowing the actors to form the play with him. It’s incredibly exciting, thorough and detailed.”

To get a sense of how Astrov, a proto-environmentalist who is obsessed with planting forests for posterity, might fill his days, Armitage and Wood (who plays Sonya) spent a day planting trees at Tring Park with the Woodland Trust. Armitage also interviewed a trauma surgeon who has worked in war-torn Syria to interpret how Astrov might cope with the poverty and death around him. “With anything that is to be imagined, we try to programme a real memory rather than a false one,” he explains.

Vanya marks his return to the British stage just over five years after his previous appearance, in a devastating production of The Crucible at the Old Vic, directed by Yael Farber. Before that, he had performed only small roles — a far cry from the gargantuan task of embodying the tragic John Proctor. “It was like going from being a spear carrier to a tent pole,” he says with a smile. “There was quite a big leap in that time.

“It’s odd, because all I ever wanted to do, when I was coming up, was to work with a physical-theatre company for the rest of my life. I would have been a very happy man. But the doors opened in different places and I took a different path. The yearning to be on stage has always been there, but you just get busy with other stuff.”

He jokes that talent agents tend to regard a stage play as a prison stretch that ties an actor to one place for six months at a time. But there’s no doubting Armitage’s pleasure in returning to live theatre. “It’s like going back to my roots. It’s such a weird paradox, because, when I was sent to tap classes aged four, I loved the technical side of it, but hated being looked at, hated standing on the stage. Now I understand that people aren’t here to see their favourite actor doing something, showing off. That isn’t the point of it. The point is, I am there to help them feel something, so it’s all about them, not me. That makes it so much easier.”

What he finds in theatre is always life-changing. “That was particularly true with The Crucible, but certainly also with this. Little keys are turning inside me” — he gestures to his chest — “and you feel, yeah, I haven’t been there before.” He looks back on The Crucible with a kind of awe. “By the end of it, I felt wrung through, but at the same time transported. It almost felt as if I was floating off the stage.”

The intensity of that performance was far removed from the beginning of his career, when he sang and danced in shows such as 42nd Street and Cats. “I was quite successful for a few years, but I knew this wasn’t where I wanted to be.” So he went to drama school and began again. There was some resistance at the BBC when he, as a relative unknown, was cast in North & South in 2004, but his embodiment of the rough, tough mill owner softened by love was a key factor in the show’s unexpected success. “I think that was the first time I got a handle on a role where I felt I understood so much of it and I was passionate about it. I was trusted with something from beginning to end.”

The Hobbit movies were equally transformative. “It was not something I had ever imagined for myself. I was happy working on Spooks, in my little two-up, two-down house, and I didn’t have designs on going to Hollywood — and still don’t, really. I think that was a moment, maybe my peak. I had that experience, I did the premieres and all that, and now I can go back to being me.”

The variety of the work he continues to take on is impressive. He was a charismatic Guy of Gisborne in the BBC series Robin Hood — “I loved that show” — and, more recently, played the serial killer Francis Dolarhyde in Hannibal and a CIA officer in Berlin Station. He also starred off-Broadway in Mike Bartlett’s tragic comedy Love, Love, Love, and in My Zoe, a film written and directed by Julie Delpy, about a divorced couple coping with the death of a child. He shot it 18 months ago, immediately after his mother died. “It’s very personal to me,” he says quietly. “It contains all of that grief.”

Armitage is about to be seen in the Netflix miniseries The Stranger, based on a Harlan Coben novel. He plays a man whose life comes crashing down around his ears after he discovers a secret about his wife. “It goes down a dark path, but it’s quite a buoyant thing,” he says. “I loved making it. I didn’t want the job to end.”

He admits that he is attracted to flawed characters. “I don’t think I have a heroic face,” he says, pulling one. “I feel there is a darkness to it. If I was ever cast as a hero, I would look for the flaws, because I don’t really believe anyone is without an internal push and pull. Even Cate Blanchett, who does nothing wrong ever. She’s like an angel, but you think to yourself, ‘She must have something in her...’”

His voice trails off and he laughs again. This brings us back to Astrov, who looks so relentlessly towards the future that he can’t see the truth in front of his eyes. “It’s interesting that he’s an outsider in the play. I’ve often felt like that myself in life. I’m quite a solitary person. I enjoy my time with me, and sometimes it’s not necessarily healthy, because I can talk myself into quite a dark place.

“I’m an optimist, but at the same time, there’s a discipline in me that will attack me for not working hard enough, not achieving enough, not being good enough. You always think, ‘I’ll grow out of that. With success, those voices will disappear.’ But they don’t, they get louder. I suppose I’m learning a bit about myself through Astrov.”

Uncle Vanya, Harold Pinter Theatre, London SW1, January 14–May 2; unclevanyaplay.com

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 16:11 

Danke, Arianna. :kuss:

Der self-destructive doctor schlägt in diesem Interview ganz schön durch, wie ich finde. :scratch: Oder zumindest hoffe ich, dass Einiges von dem, was und wie er das da sagt, dem geschuldet ist, dass er - wie in der Vergangenheit häufiger zu beobachten - ziemlich in character ist. Ansonsten muss frau sich ja ernsthaft Sorgen um seine Schauspielkarriere machen (und damit um das, was wir noch zu sehen bekommen könnten oder eben nicht). :sigh2: Das klang doch zwischenzeitlich schon einmal alles deutlich selbstbewusster und offensiver. :nix: Das Jahr 2019 ist vorbei und damit auch die in der Weihnachtsbotschaft 2018 gefassten guten Vorsätze??? Bescheidenheit mag ja eine Zier sein und ich mag ihn ja gerade deshalb, weil er kein unreflektierter Selbstdarsteller ist, aber Klappern gehört nunmal auch zum Handwerk (und sich selbst Kleinreden und Vergangenes zum Karrierehöhepunkt zu erklären, erscheint mir nicht unbedingt zielführend). Ach, Richard! :there: :keks: :knutsch:

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 17:03 

Die Fotos zur Online- und Printversion stammen von An Le, von denen Richard bei Instagram eine Version teilt:

Bild

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 17:25 

Immerhin ist Richard selbst zufrieden mit dem Ergebnis:

Bild

https://twitter.com/RCArmitage/status/1213820406081163265

Bild

https://twitter.com/RCArmitage/status/1213831200596475905

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 19:42 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Laudine hat geschrieben:
Bescheidenheit mag ja eine Zier sein und ich mag ihn ja gerade deshalb, weil er kein unreflektierter Selbstdarsteller ist, aber Klappern gehört nunmal auch zum Handwerk (und sich selbst Kleinreden und Vergangenes zum Karrierehöhepunkt zu erklären, erscheint mir nicht unbedingt zielführend). Ach, Richard! :there: :keks: :knutsch:

Tja, so ist er. Ich denke an seine verkappte Stranger-Ankündigung mit dem Ford Fiesta...

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 20:14 

Ich muss ja gestehen, dass der kleine Mephisto in mir sich kichernd fragte, was da jetzt wohl kommen mag. Und damit meine ich nicht, dass Richard irgendetwas Ford-Fiesta-mäßig ankündigt, sondern das da für ihn und uns etwas überraschend um die Ecke kommt, wenn man nicht (mehr) unbedingt will - schon mehrfach selbst und 2019 ganz besonders erlebt. :evilgrin:

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 21:00 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Wer weiß? Er kokettiert meiner Ansicht nach schon gerne mal - in größtmöglicher Bescheidenheit natürlich. Und so gut es geht den "Totty" vermeidend natürlich. Obwohl er weiß, was er verkauft... ;)

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 21:17 

Na ja, ich empfinde den Ton des Artikels sehr reflektiert resümierend und nicht wirklich kokettierend. Aber das ging mir schon mit der Weihnachtsbotschaft so, dass ich mich dem allgemeinen Jubel mitsamt der dafür gegebenen "Bestnoten" nicht so recht anschließen konnte, sondern eher irritert war, dass er da nach meinem Gefühl mit angezogener Handbremse unterwegs war, nachdem er zuvor im Jahr 2019 viel lockerer und gelöster auf mich wirkte. :scratch: Vielleicht habe ich also derzeit einfach eine getrübte Sichtweise. :irre: Oder mein RAdar ist gestört. :grins:

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 21:30 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Der Ton des Artikels ist wahrlich nicht kokettierend. Und die angezogene Handbremse ist auch für meinen Geschmack sehr deutlich zu spüren.
Vielleicht wünsche ich mir ja auch nur, dass seine offensichtlich immer noch existente Angst, auf den Heartthrob oder Totty festgelegt zu werden, ein wenig kokettierend ist trotz der Beständigkeit? :nix: :scratch:

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 21:42 

Vielleicht ist er ja nach dem mehrmaligen Platzen angekündigter Projekte jetzt zu abergläubisch, um weiterhin Ankündigungen zu machen? Die bestmögliche Variante wäre natürlich, dass er sich komplett zurücknimmt und auf die Vergangenheit und nahe Zukunft konzentriert, um sich nicht zu verplappern. :evilgrin:

Ich lasse mich da ja gern eines besseren belehren, dass mich mein Gefühl täuscht, das mir der Grundton dieses Artikel vermittelt. Es ist halt irgendwie ein Unterschied, ob man TH als Karrierehöhepunkt darstellt oder als Beispiel dafür, dass immer wieder eine überraschende Herausforderung auf einen zukommen kann. Aber wie immer wissen wir auch gar nicht, was sonst so besprochen wurde und was durch die Auswahl durch die Journalistin daraus wurde.

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 22:07 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Laudine hat geschrieben:
.Aber wie immer wissen wir auch gar nicht, was sonst so besprochen wurde und was durch die Auswahl durch die Journalistin daraus wurde.

Auch das!

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2020, 23:46 
Lovelace's dearest creature

Erstmal: Danke für den vollständigen Artikel, Arianna! :kuss:

Sein Licht unter den Scheffel stellen ist so typisch für ihn. Aber ich kenne es ja selber von mir. Mir geht's da auch nicht anderes.
Eigentlich ist er ja erfolgreich. Aber, ich habe so den Eindruck, dass er glaubt ihm fehlt da irgend noch was.

Die Stelle, wo er sagt, dass er gerne auch mal Zeit für sich nimmt und es auch an einem dunklen Ort führen kann, da dachte ich mir: "Nimm 'n Taschenlampe oder Nachtsichtgerät mit, dann passt das schon." 8)
Ich weiß, er meint es symbolisch oder doch wortwörtlich...

BeitragVerfasst: 06.01.2020, 00:00 
Lucas' sugarhorse

:danke1: Endlich mal wieder ein längeres Interview- hoffentlich folgen noch viele nach!
Ansonsten kann ich euch bezüglich Mr. Modesty nur zustimmen. :sigh2:

BeitragVerfasst: 06.01.2020, 01:33 

Nimue hat geschrieben:
:danke1: Endlich mal wieder ein längeres Interview- hoffentlich folgen noch viele nach!

:bindafür: Das hoffe ich auch. Und dann soll 'Uncle Vanya' ganz einfach ein großer Erfolg werden, Richards graue Gedankenwolken vertreiben und ihm gleich noch ein paar ordentliche neue Rollen bescheren.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 16 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde