Aktuelle Zeit: 23.04.2024, 12:06

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Forumsregeln

Die Forumsregeln lesen

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 168 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 16.12.2016, 06:18 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Noch ein RTC-Blogbeitrag: Interview mit Michael Mayer, dem Regisseur:

http://blog.roundabouttheatre.org/2016/ ... ael-mayer/

Zitat:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE: INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR MICHAEL MAYER

Posted on: December 15th, 2016 by Ted Sod
Director Michael Mayer
Director Michael Mayer

Ted Sod: Where were you born and educated?

Michael Mayer: I was educated at Washington, D.C. public schools in Montgomery County, Maryland; then the University of Wisconsin for three semesters. I transferred to NYU's grad acting program after leaving U of W. When I really couldn't get any paying acting work and I still wanted to make theatre, I decided to try my hand at directing and met with some early success directing showcases with friends. Mike D'anna and Stephen Perialas in junior high and high school were very influential, as were Ron Van Lieu and Olympia Dukakis at NYU. Also, Tony Kushner, who was a classmate and friend at NYU, had an enormous influence on me aesthetically and politically.

TS: For those who are new to Roundabout, will you talk a bit about your history with the company?

MM: My second Broadway show was a revival of A View from the Bridge at the Roundabout. Todd Haimes invited me to be a guest artist, and I directed several shows for him in the next few years, including a Broadway transfer of Side Man, A Lion in Winter, and Uncle Vanya.

TS: Why did you choose to direct Love, Love, Love?

MM: I had seen Mike Bartlett’s play Cock and read King Charles III and really admired them both very much. I was blown away by the range of his skill. My agent sent me Love, Love, Love and suggested it might be my first new play to do after a spate of musicals. I was excited by the themes of the play, the characters, and the writing. I brought it to Todd to do a reading with Amy Ryan as Sandra, and right afterwards, Todd said let's do it. I was thrilled to come back after some time away with this work.

TS: How will you collaborate with playwright Mike Bartlett on the American premiere?

MM: Our collaboration has already begun with Mike and me discussing casting and design. He is also looking at some small but potentially important changes in the third act. I have met with him in London and will do so again before rehearsals commence and, of course, he will be with us for several periods during rehearsals and previews. He has a fairly new second child, so he won't be able to be with us full-time, but he's super easy to reach and very engaged in this process.

Richard Armitage, Amy Ryan and Alex Hurt (Photo by Joan Marcus)
Richard Armitage, Amy Ryan and Alex Hurt (Photo by Joan Marcus)

TS: What do you think Love, Love, Love is about?

MM: I think the play is about the giant disconnect between what we say and what we do; between who we think we are and who we really are; between what we believe our obligations are to ourselves and the world outside ourselves — be it our children, community, or planet.

TS: Does the play have personal resonance for you and, if so, how?

MM: Growing up in the D.C. area in the 1960s and watching how the shifting tides of American cultural and political behavior changed personal behavior has given me some insight into the family dynamic played out by Kenneth and Sandra and their children. I knew some people who copped to the fact that they went to rallies and sit-ins, etc., just to get laid or to score some weed.

TS: How do you understand the relationship between Sandra and Kenneth?

MM: Some people can maintain both personal responsibility and a socio/political ideology. In the case of Kenneth and Sandra, they see the freedom espoused in the late 1960s almost as a kind of fashion with which they can cloak themselves; it's a way to embrace the style without rigorously investigating the substance. Unlike some true revolutionaries, they were never dedicated to anything other than themselves and are incapable of self-critique.

TS: Can you share a bit about your process: How do you prepare for directing a play that spans the years 1967 through 2011? What research did you do about the world of the play?

MM: We will do a lot of table work and talk a lot about the specifics of the three moments in the play. I'm hoping that this American company will be able to draw relatable parallels with the English events depicted in the play. We will have lots of images and video to look at. The internet has made research like this available in ways I couldn't imagine when I was starting out.

TS: What did you look for in casting the actors? What traits did you need?

MM: We needed smart, emotionally available actors with the range to age several decades and have the right sense of humor. The play is very funny as well as ultimately painful. I'm at the point in my life where I only want to work with good, kind people who love working hard but also understand that some things are more important than making plays. Especially in this crazy time we're in. I think we have an extraordinary cast.

TS: How will the play manifest itself visually?

MM: There will be a different set for each of the acts — almost like traveling through a visual history of post-war theatre.

Ben Rosenfield, Zoe Kazan and Richard Armitage (Photo by Joan Marcus)
Ben Rosenfield, Zoe Kazan and Richard Armitage (Photo by Joan Marcus)

TS: How are you collaborating with your design team?

MM: We all talked about how Mike has created three different styles for each of the decades represented, so in addition to the clothes they wear and their hairstyles and the music, the physical environment should suggest a different moment in the kind of plays that were popular in that time.

TS: How important will the use of music be to the storytelling?

MM: The title of the play refers to the Beatles’ “All You Need is Love,” and music is used throughout as a way to know where we are time-wise, as well as a kind of subliminal running commentary.

TS: How do you keep yourself inspired as an artist?

MM: Of course I try to vary the kind of work I do, but I also do my best to collaborate with great people who are plugged into the world.

TS: What other projects are you working on besides Love, Love, Love?

MM: I'm developing a new musical with Peter Lerman, Lisa Kron and Dmitry Lipkin about the Russian Stilyagi in the 1950s, and I will direct Jake Gyllenhaal in a new production of Lanford Wilson’s Burn This on Broadway this spring. I will also be sending out the national tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

TS: Do you have any advice for young people who want to be directors?

MM: See everything you can. Read new plays and old plays. Make work wherever and whenever you can, but believe in the stories you tell. Don't spend your life on Facebook. Go to museums. Read the newspaper. Look around you. Meditate.

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 16.12.2016, 06:18 

BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2017, 22:22 
Lucas' sugarhorse

Warum nicht LLL??? :flenn: :cry2: :baby: :nooo:
https://twitter.com/grissomfish01/statu ... 2476669952

Zitat:
@RCArmitage My brother just told me they're going to "live stream" Holiday Inn and Cherry Orchard...darn! They should have done "Love" too!

BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2017, 22:53 
Mill overseer & Head of the Berlin Station

Ich habe Deinen Beitrag vom Stage-Door-Thread mal hierher verschoben, Nimue. :kuss:

Danke, liebe Boardengel, für Eure privaten Schnappschüsse. :kuss:

BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2017, 23:03 
Paul's love therapist

Nimue hat geschrieben:
Warum nicht LLL??? :flenn: :cry2: :baby: :nooo:
https://twitter.com/grissomfish01/statu ... 2476669952

Zitat:
@RCArmitage My brother just told me they're going to "live stream" Holiday Inn and Cherry Orchard...darn! They should have done "Love" too!

Dafür kommt er doch bald nach zurück nach Hause. Und UK ist für einen Theater-Kurztrip nicht so unerreichbar. Da ist bestimmt was für uns dabei :hoff: . TC kenne ich auch nur als Konserve. Da war ich noch nicht ganz so angefixt :heart2: :heart2: :heart2: .
Aber jetzt... :drool: :umkipp:

BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2017, 23:37 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Cherry Orchard hatte ziemlich mäßige Kritiken.... :sigh2:
Es ist sicher vermessen zu erwarten, dass jedes Stück mit Richards Beteiligung gefilmt wird. Aber seine Rolle und auch die Leistungen der anderen wären es wert gewesen...

BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2017, 23:58 
Lucas' sugarhorse

Und hat sich ticketmäßig auch längst nicht so gut verkauft wie LLL!
Wenn die wüssten, was sie da für zusätzliche Einnahmen verschlafen haben... Auch beim Merchandize.. mit Bildern von RA hätte sich das bestimmt besser verkauft.

Außerdem hätte ich RA als Neunzehnjährigen wirklich gerne gesehen :flenn: :flenn: . Aber sie waren sogar mit neueren, offiziellen Bildern ( perückenlos...) geizig :beleidigt: !

BeitragVerfasst: 02.01.2017, 08:24 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Ich mag das Poster auch ganz gerne so wie es ist... ;) Und die Tassen, Notizbücher etc. schienen gegen Ende auch ausgegangen zu sein. So schlecht haben sich die Sachen wohl doch nicht verkauft. ;)

BeitragVerfasst: 02.01.2017, 10:48 
Squirrel's finest hidden treasure

Ich könnte ja jetzt :blackwings: , aber ich verkneife jetzt mal meinen Kommentar...

BeitragVerfasst: 02.01.2017, 11:22 
Mr. Turner's loveliest affair

Minimaler Aufwand fürs Roundabout, maximaler Gewinn durch die aus allen Ecken der Welt angereisten RA-Fans. Man müsste echt mal ne Statistik zur Herkunft der Ticketkäufer erstellen.

Für sich allein gesehen kann das Stück ein erfolgreicher Sturm im Wasserglas gewesen sein, insgesamt betrachtet - speziell in Konkurrenz zu den Broadwaywerken - war der Einschlag vielleicht zu nischenhaft, um über ein Streaming nachzudenken.

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2017, 14:10 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Was man so alles an einem Tag unterbringt - viel Love Love Love offensichtlich :giggle: :daumen: :
Kathleen Littlefield, die zum Schluss als Understudy für Zoe Kazan auf der Bühne stand, hat vor ihrem 7-Uhr-30-Termin am 15. Dezember noch ihre Hochzeit untergebracht, kam mehr oder weniger direkt vom Standesamt zur Vorstellung und danach zurück zum Hochzeitsempfang.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/fashi ... .html?_r=0

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2017, 14:33 
Paul's love therapist

Arianna hat geschrieben:
Was man so alles an einem Tag unterbringt - viel Love Love Love offensichtlich :giggle: :daumen: :
Kathleen Littlefield, die zum Schluss als Understudy für Zoe Kazan auf der Bühne stand, hat vor ihrem 7-Uhr-30-Termin am 15. Dezember noch ihre Hochzeit untergebracht, kam mehr oder weniger direkt vom Standesamt zur Vorstellung und danach zurück zum Hochzeitsempfang.

Tolle Story und garantiert eine Hochzeit, die allen Beteiligten (auch den Gästen) in Erinnerung bleibt. Stundenlang ohne das frisch vermählte Paar zu feiern ist doch mal was anderes. :grins:

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2017, 18:48 

:hutab: :respekt: Was für ein Timing.

BeitragVerfasst: 05.01.2017, 19:23 
Squirrel's finest hidden treasure

Bipsi hat geschrieben:
Arianna hat geschrieben:

Tolle Story und garantiert eine Hochzeit, die allen Beteiligten (auch den Gästen) in Erinnerung bleibt. Stundenlang ohne das frisch vermählte Paar zu feiern ist doch mal was anderes. :grins:

Brautentführung auf andere Art. ;)

BeitragVerfasst: 19.04.2017, 23:11 
Uhtred's warrior maiden

Amy Ryan wurde für ihre Darstellung der Sandra in 'Love love love' für die 83. Drama League Awards nominiert, genau für den "Distinguished performance award":

http://dramaleague.org/awards/nominees

Die Konkurrenz ist allerdings groß: Daniel Craig für Othello , Daniel Radcliffe, Danny DeVito, Jennifer Ehle, Cate Blanchett, Sally Field, Kevin Kline und viele mehr...

BeitragVerfasst: 20.04.2017, 08:17 

:congrats: Da bin ich ja nun gespannt.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 168 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde