Aktuelle Zeit: 28.03.2024, 16:33

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Forumsregeln

Die Forumsregeln lesen

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 35 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Daily Telegraph (22.07.2011)
BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:07 
Little Miss Gisborne

Zitat:
Richard Armitage: 'I’m a bit mean. I haven’t got a nice-guy face’

Richard Armitage talks to Jasper Rees about his penchant for playing tough nuts, including his latest role as a Nazi in the superhero movie 'Captain America’ .

Is there a harder hard man? A more dastardly villain? He incarnates SAS author Chris Ryan in the Sky series Strike Back, was Robin Hood’s scowling nemesis Guy of Gisborne, and infamously revealed himself as a ruthless killer - not nice Lucas North but nasty John Bateman - in the most recent series of the BBC’s Spooks. And now he’s playing a cold-hearted Nazi infiltrator in the much anticipated whizzbangy film version of Captain America.

In person, of course, Richard Armitage turns out to be the softest pussycat. Not to look at, of course. He’s six foot something and mostly consists of granite and stubble. But the voice is on the quiet side, and he radiates an air of proper humility. So why is he never Mr Nice on screen?

“I suppose I’m a bit mean. My face on camera doesn’t lend itself to happy nice guys. I think it’s just that my bone structure looks menacing. I don’t smile that often.”

He duly smiles, enchantingly, at the absurdity of the gap between image and reality. “Somebody asked me after I’d done all that training for Strike Back, 'Could you go out and work with the SAS?’ I thought, what a ridiculous question. It’s about replicating a look.”

He even thinks he may qualify as a wimp. In Captain America: The First Avenger, the latest cinematic take on a Marvel Comics superhero, Armitage is once more rotten to the core. He plays Heinz Kruger, a Teutonic assassin who at one point is involved in a super-macho underwater tussle. Only one problem.

“I am just not a water baby. I can swim but I just don’t. Everyone else is jumping in and I’ll go, ’You know what? I’ll just stand on the side.’

“I did four weeks of scuba training for the sequence and made myself do fifty lengths every day. Then we were at the bottom of a tank and there was ten metres above you.” All 15 or 16 stone of him shudders at the memory of the moment the divers confiscated his goggles and breathing line. “They had put a microphone in the water so you could hear them say, 'Just waiting for the bubbles to clear.’ I’m at the bottom of the tank thinking, I’ve taken a deep breath but I haven’t got enough air. When they asked me to do it again I was sitting in the dressing room crying, 'I can’t!’”

In another scene they put him in an empty box within a container filled with water. “They wanted to smash a window and the water rush in quickly. They’d put all the safety things in place but you can’t fool the brain: you have a fight-or-flight mechanism that you can’t control. I smashed the roof off.”

Armitage’s modest portrait of himself as the reluctant stuntman is slightly tarnished when he reveals that, to prepare for a scene in Spooks, he became perhaps the first person in the history of torture to volunteer for waterboarding. “They put a wet cloth over your nostrils and your mouth, hold it tight and pour water into it. It’s like suffocating underwater. I think I managed five seconds. I got the glimmer of something I could replicate: total terror, a certain sound, and the spasm the body does when you feel it.”

The young Armitage, growing up eager to act, ran off to the circus in Budapest at the age of 19 to get his Equity card. It’s a less than romantic memory. “The best grounding it gave me was that I couldn’t stoop any lower than sleeping next to an elephant and throwing a hula-hoop to a skateboarder. It was pretty grim. Two Russian guys taught me to do a back flip with two towels.” Could he do one now, aged 39? “No way.”

After drama school he guessed his future was in theatre. Spear-carrying at the RSC cured him of that assumption. He understudied in one hatchet-faced tragedy that went on tour. “We limped around and I saw audiences being tortured by our production. That put me off. I’m not much of a show-off. I don’t really go after that kind of applause.”

Screen acting didn’t go much better until one day he went into an audition for the BBC drama Sparkhouse in character as a grouchy Northern farmer. “It came out of real frustration of not getting anything. Normally I’d go in with my hair all brushed and polished. It was the first time I’ve played a character over four episodes with an arc.”

His gruff mill-owner in Mrs Gaskell’s North and South followed, as did his betrothal to Dawn French in The Vicar of Dibley. He’s even played Monet in a drama doc.

But there’s no getting round his physique. He got Strike Back, he says, because “somebody must have turned it down. I thought, this is your bog-standard boys-with-toys story. The challenge was to find the human interest inside a war machine story.”

When Spooks came round, he’d not seen more than a few episodes of the first series. “They hadn’t written the part. They wanted to bring in a character who had quite a complicated back story so they could then feed off that.” Even Armitage was surprised by the sudden stripping away of Lucas North’s carapace. “They kept it from me at the end that he did know there was a bomb in the bag. There’s me thinking that he’s done a good thing.”

One day he’d like to have a go at ultimate baddie Richard III. For the next two years Armitage will be flying back and forth to New Zealand to play a dwarf in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. Not a small dwarf, mind. “I’m carrying 20 kilos of costume and weights so I’m doing load of lower back and leg exercises.”

Is that a drag for an actor keen to stay in touch with his inner softie? “I want to be strong enough to cope with the roles, but I don’t want to be cast as the guy that takes his shirt off. I’m looking forward to getting fat and old so I don’t have to lift weights.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/8653223/Richard-Armitage-Im-a-bit-mean.-I-havent-got-a-nice-guy-face.html

Bild

Sorry Richard und danke an Jessie für die wundervolle Sig!

Thanks to Tumblr for my avatar!

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:07 

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: The Telegraph - 22.07.2011
BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:19 
Guy's evil dungeon-mistress

Vielen Dank für das interessante Interview, Redluna! :blum:

Die obligatorische Zirkus-Geschichte durfte ja wieder einmal nicht fehlen :roll: , und ein paar Fakten sind auch nicht so ganz richtig - aber egal...

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:22 
Little Miss Gisborne

Das hab ich mir auch gedacht Belly. Aber die Abschnitte über CA fand ich ganz interessant, der arme RA, ich könnte mich nicht zu sowas überwinden, wenn ich Angst vor Wasser hätte :bibber:
Vielleicht gibt es ja auch noch eine Printversion davon - wir hatten schon lange keine Bilder mehr von ihm ;)

Sorry Richard und danke an Jessie für die wundervolle Sig!

Thanks to Tumblr for my avatar!

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:25 

Redluna hat geschrieben:
Das hab ich mir auch gedacht Belly. Aber die Abschnitte über CA fand ich ganz interessant, der arme RA, ich könnte mich nicht zu sowas überwinden, wenn ich Angst vor Wasser hätte :bibber:
Vielleicht gibt es ja auch noch eine Printversion davon - wir hatten schon lange keine Bilder mehr von ihm ;)

Stimmt - ich auch nicht!!! Dass RA Angst vor Wasser hat, wissen wir ja, aber dass er zugibt, welche Panik er bei dem Dreh hatte, ist ja wieder mal total :cute: :grins:

Auf eine Printversion würde ich mich auch sehr freuen! :daumen:

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 09:40 
Harry's sweetest temptation

:thankyou: Redluna für das Interview :blum:
Redluna hat geschrieben:
In person, of course, Richard Armitage turns out to be the softest pussycat. Not to look at, of course. He’s six foot something and mostly consists of granite and stubble. But the voice is on the quiet side, and he radiates an air of proper humility. So why is he never Mr Nice on screen?

Richard als Pussycat :giggle:

Redluna hat geschrieben:
“I suppose I’m a bit mean. My face on camera doesn’t lend itself to happy nice guys. I think it’s just that my bone structure looks menacing. I don’t smile that often.”

:roll: Na und da stapeln wir aber wieder mal sehr tief!

Redluna hat geschrieben:
When Spooks came round, he’d not seen more than a few episodes of the first series. “They hadn’t written the part. They wanted to bring in a character who had quite a complicated back story so they could then feed off that.” Even Armitage was surprised by the sudden stripping away of Lucas North’s carapace. “They kept it from me at the end that he did know there was a bomb in the bag. There’s me thinking that he’s done a good thing.

Das wird Anne aber freuen!

Redluna hat geschrieben:
Is that a drag for an actor keen to stay in touch with his inner softie? “I want to be strong enough to cope with the roles, but I don’t want to be cast as the guy that takes his shirt off. I’m looking forward to getting fat and old so I don’t have to lift weights.”

Ich hoffe allerdings trotzdem, dass er noch oft sein Shirt auszeihen darf :pfeif:

Simply perfect :heartthrow: Many, many thanks Jessie!!!

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 11:49 
Percy's naughty little barfly

Also ich will nicht, daß er fett wird... :sigh2:

Und was für eine Gemeinheit, ihn bei Spooks so zu täuschen, damit er schön brav spielt! :evil: Darum war das Verhör mit Harry so herzzerreißend. Aber natürlich hätte er das auch spielen können, wenn er die wahre Geschichte gewußt hätte. :beleidigt:

"Pussycat" :evilgrin: :schnapp: Meine nächste Katze wird schwarz! ;)

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 12:07 
Mill overseer & Thorins Schneewittchen

Schöner Artikel. Besser als Dauer-Baddie dargestellt werden, als als Dauerschönling. Ich glaube, mit 19 beim Zirkus kommt der Wahrheit näher als 17, es war 1990, ein Jahr nach dem Mauerfall, da war er 18/19.

Bloody Internet.

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 12:11 

PS: Vier Wochen Tauchtraining für eine Szene, die bisher keiner erwähnt hat?

Bloody Internet.

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 12:11 

Ja, wirklich schöner Artikel. Mann, 50 Längen pro Tag schwimmen, wenn man Wasser nicht mag - Hut ab vor soviel Disziplin.

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 12:22 

Ob's das wert ist, für vier Zeilen Text? Als Sprungbrettrolle, okay, aber bitte keine Hollywoodkarriere, die SO aissieht.

Bloody Internet.

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 12:28 

Ich glaube, er kann nicht anders, gelesen hat er ja auch für die Rolle.

Thorin ist natürlich ein anderes Kaliber! 8)

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 13:22 

:blum: Thanks to RAnet:

Hier ist jetzt der Link zum Artikel Klick

Und hier ist der Scan Klick

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 13:31 

Wow, das sieht ja besser aus als die Version auf der Website! Dankeschön!

BeitragVerfasst: 22.07.2011, 20:57 
Lovelace's dearest creature

Nietzsche hat geschrieben:
Mann, 50 Längen pro Tag schwimmen, wenn man Wasser nicht mag - Hut ab vor soviel Disziplin.

Also da bewundere ich ihn auch immer wieder, dass er die Angst überwindet. :hutab:

Richard als Pussycat. :giggle:
Nietzsche hat geschrieben:
"Pussycat" :evilgrin: :schnapp: Meine nächste Katze wird schwarz! ;)

:lachen:

Ich glaube nicht, dass das mit dem fett werden wollen erst gemeint ist. War bestimmt einer seiner Scherze. ;) Könnte mir zwar schon vorstellen, dass er mal im gesetzten Alter ein wenig was ansetzten wird.
So wie ich Richard einschätze, ist, was das Körperbewusstsein betrifft, er schon noch eitel.

Ansonsten: Interessanter Artikel! Danke für die Links, Mädels! :blum:

BeitragVerfasst: 23.07.2011, 10:30 

Ein ausgebildeter Tänzer kann, denke ich, gar nicht anders, als auf seinen Körper zu achten.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 35 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde